Assessment of greenhouse gas fluxes and carbon sequestration from wetland catchments in the Prairie Pothole Region
Our research focuses on the abiotic and biotic factors that regulate greenhouse gas fluxes of PPR wetlands and uplands to reduce the uncertainties associated with temporal and spatial variability that characterizes these wetland systems. Our studies range from plot-level experiments in wetland catchments situated in grasslands and agricultural fields, to regional- and national-scale modeling to predict changes in soil processes associated with climate and land use. We use a combination of commercial and custom-made sampling devices to facilitate the collection of temporally-intensive data. The ability to extrapolate plot-level fluxes and to assess potential effects of climate and land-use change on wetland ecosystems is dependent on the capability to model the overall water balance of PPR wetlands. Thus, a secondary objective is to develop and refine wetland catchment water-balance models for simulating abiotic factors relevant to greenhouse gas fluxes, as well as to the suite of ecosystem services provided by PPR wetlands.
- Bansal, S., B. Tangen, and R. Finocchiaro. 2016. Temperature and hydrology affect methane emissions from Prairie Pothole wetlands. Wetlands 36:371-381.
- Dalcin Martins, P., D. W. Hoyt, S. Bansal, C. T. Mills, M. Tfaily, B. A. Tangen, R. G. Finocchiaro, M. D. Johnston, B. C. McAdams, M. J. Solensky, G. J. Smith, Y.-P. Chin, and M. J. Wilkins. 2017. Abundant carbon substrates drive extremely high sulfate reduction rates and methane fluxes in Prairie Pothole Wetlands. Global Change Biology.
- Finocchiaro, R., B. Tangen, and R. Gleason. 2014. Greenhouse gas fluxes of grazed and hayed wetland catchments in the US Prairie Pothole Ecoregion. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22:305-324.
- Tangen, B. A., R. G. Finocchiaro, and R. A. Gleason. 2015. Effects of land use on greenhouse gas fluxes and soil properties of wetland catchments in the Prairie Pothole Region of North America. Science of the Total Environment 533:391-409.
- Tangen, B., R. Finocchiaro, R. A. Gleason, and C. F. Dahl. 2016. Greenhouse gas fluxes of a shallow lake in south-central North Dakota, USA. Wetlands 36:779-787.
- Dissolved greenhouse gas concentrations and fluxes from Wetlands P7 and P8 of the Cottonwood Lake Study area, Stutsman County, North Dakota, 2015
- Effect of N fertilization and tillage on nitrous oxide (N2O) loss from soil under wheat production
- Soil properties and greenhouse gas fluxes of Prairie Pothole Region wetlands: a comprehensive data release