Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
Southern Wetland Flora
Field Office Guide to Plant Species
Dryopteris spinulosa (O.F. Muell.) Watt
- Family: Fern (Polypodiaceae)
- Sori: June-October
- Field Marks: The lowermost leaf segments on each leaf are longer than the leaf segment
them. The sori are round.
- Habitat: Wet shaded cliffs, swamps.
- Habit: Perennial fern with stout, creeping rhizomes.
- Stems: All underground.
- Leaves: Large, much divided, 1 1/2 pinnately compound, up to 1 1/2 feet long, ovate-lanceolate; leaf stalks up to 12 inches long, brown-scaly.
- Reproductive Structures: Spore-bearing sori round, near but not on the margin of the leaves.
Previous Species -- Rattlesnake Fern (Botrychium virginianum)
Return to Species List -- Group 1
Next Species -- Japanese Climbing Fern (Lygodium japonicum)