Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
Alien Plants Ranking System
For Windows XP and Earlier Only
Installation Instructions for Version 5.1
The APRS program will only run on Windows XP and earlier. Windows XP Mode is a downloadable add-on for Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise. Home Premium, Basic and Starter cannot run this add-on. Windows XP mode isnít available on Windows 8, but you can reproduce it pretty closely with VMware Player. The following links provide detailed guides: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7 http://www.howtogeek.com/171395/how-to-get-windows-xp-mode-on-windows-8/
- Download to a temporary directory, such as C:\TEMP. You may have to create
the temporary directory first.
- In that temporary directory, extract files from the archive (.ZIP) file.
- Run the SETUP.EXE file that appears in the temporary directory.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. The default directory for your
application will be C:\EXOTIC; you may put it elsewhere if you wish. But
make sure the directory you use does not contain a previous version of APRS.
- Check to make sure that C:\EXOTIC, or whatever directory you chose, contains:
- the application, APRSV5_1.EXE;
- one demo data file, DEMOFIVE.DAT;
- and another file, ABSHLP.EXE.
- Now the temporary directory (C:\TEMP) can be deleted.
- Your application should be installed correctly. Run it.
- When the application is run for the first time only,
it will do some final organization of its files (It will create two additional
directories, \ABSTR and \HELP, and one additional file, APRSINF.INF.). After
the application has been run once, if you're short on disk
space, the file ABSHLP.EXE could be deleted. Do NOT, however,
- If you have questions or comments for Karl Beres, the developer of APRS
software, you may contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Alien Plants Ranking System main page