Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
Atlas of North Dakota Butterflies
Gray Comma (Polygonia progne)
- BND: Gray Comma; Polygonia progne (Cramer, 1775)
- BNA: Gray Comma; Polygonia progne
- NDC: POPR
- Habitat: Deciduous woodlands, sunlit patches late afternoon; adults drink running sap and juices of rotting fruit
- Larval food: Ribes spp.
- Adult flight: Overwinters as adult, appearing April-May to produce a dark-winged summer form by late June. These in turn produce a second, light-winged, overwintering brood in August.
- References: Royer 143, Layberry et al. 201, Opler & Krizek 154, Scott 287
Explanation of Textual Accounts
Return to species list