Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
Atlas of North Dakota Butterflies
Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis)
- BND: Question Mark; Polygonia interrogationis (Fabricius, 1798)
- BNA: Question Mark; Polygonia interrogationis
- NDC: POIN
- Habitat: Woodland habitats; especially fond of running sap, rotting fruit, dung, or carrion; rare in North Dakota outside southeastern counties
- Larval food: Widely varied, incl. Urtica, Ulmus, Celtis, etc.
- Adult flight: Overwinters as adult which appears April-May to produce dark-winged summer form by late June. These in turn produce a second, light-winged, overwintering brood in August.
- References: Royer 138, Opler & Krizek 150, Scott 284
Explanation of Textual Accounts
Return to species list