Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
Waterfowl and Habitat Changes
After 40 Years on the Waubay Study Area
Tables & Figures
- Table 1 - Average monthly precipitation at Waubay
National Wildlife Refuge.
- Table 2 - Comparison of land use practices in the
Waubay study area.
- Table 3 - Percent composition of wetland basins
by class and percent drainage of wetlands.
- Table 4 - Chronology of drainage by wetland class.
- Table 5 - Total ducks and indicated breeding pairs
tabulated during four pair counts.
- Table 6 - Density and percent composition of duck
- Table 7 - Percent change of breeding pairs/km².
- Table 8 - Use (%) of different wetland classes
by breeding pairs.
- Table 9 - Breeding pairs/ha of undrained wetland
by wetland class.
- Table 10 - Use (%) of different wetland sizes
by dabbling and diving duck pairs.
- Table 11 - Percent clutch success of over-water
- Table 12 - Fates of 130 over-water and 40 upland
- Table 13 - Percent of over-water nests for five
waterfowl species found in different wetland classes.
- Table 14 - Mean water depths and distances from
nearest shoreline of over-water nests.
- Table 15 - Percent clutch success of upland nests.
- Table 16 - Ducklings and goslings produced from
- Table 17 - Brood densities and species composition
of counted broods.
- Table 18 - comparisons of brood densities of ducks,
with a 2-sample paired differences t-test.
- Table 19 - Percent change of broods/km².
- Table 20 - Comparison of pair/brood ratio and
hen success (broods/100 pairs).
- Table 21 - Use (%) of different wetland sizes
- Figure 1 - The Waubay study area, Day County,
South Dakota, 1950-1953 and 1992-1993.
- Figure 2 - Annual precipitation in the Waubay
- Figure 3 - The Waubay study area, divided
into 42 quarter sections.
- Figure 4 - Wetland numbering system, section
14, quarter 1, Waubay study area.
- Figure 5 - Over-water canvasback nest in
a seasonal wetland.
- Figure 6 - Percent of wetlands in different
- Figure 7 - Percent of 173 wetland basins
by wetland class that have been drained or restored.
- Figure 8 - Total pairs densities in relation
to April-August precipitation.
- Figure 9 - Percent of basins containing
>10% standing water at four time periods from May-August.
- Figure 10 - Road on east side of the Waubay
study area, flooded from abundant summer rain fall in 1993.
- Figure 11 - Use (%) of different wetland
sizes by dabbling duck pairs.
- Figure 12 - Use (%) of different wetland
sizes by diving duck pairs.
- Figure 13 - Percent of nests destroyed
by mammalian predators during 6 different nest initiation periods.
- Figure 14 - Annual pair densities compared
to annual brood densities.
- Figure 15 - Use (%) of different wetland
classes by broods.
Previous Section -- Appendix H
Return to Contents