USGS - science for a changing world

Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center

  Home About NPWRC Our Science Staff Employment Contacts Common Questions About the Site

Locating and Managing Peninsulas for Nesting Ducks

Required Permits

Federal Permits

A federal permit is not required for the construction of electric fences in the United States or Canada. A U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Section 404 permit is required for moat construction and placement of fill in a wetland in the United States but no federal permit is needed in Canada. Section 404 permits can be obtained at the nearest Corps of Engineers Field Office, but must be requested at least 3 months prior to the proposed construction date. The permit process requires each applicant to complete a 2-page application form (ENG 4345). The form should be fully completed including a vicinity map, construction plans, and scale drawing that provides elevation and cross-section views. Once the application is completed and signed, it must be returned to the field office.

If the project changes significantly after a permit has been granted, a new application must be submitted and a new permit obtained. Peninsula construction projects would generally fall under a non-commercial activity, for which the application fee is currently $10.00. For most peninsula construction, Section 404 permits are granted under a regional or nationwide authorization.

Location of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers offices in the Missouri River drainage can be obtained at 215 N 17th Street, Omaha, NE 68102-4978 and for the eastern Dakotas, Minnesota, and Iowa at 180 E Kellogg Boulevard, St. Paul, MN 55101-1479. Permit information for California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona can be acquired at 1325 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814-2922 and information for eastern Washington, Oregon, and Idaho at Building 602, City-County Airport, Walla Walla, WA 99362-9265.

A U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service permit may be needed prior to construction when a change will be made to a wetland where there is a wildlife easement. Contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at P. O. Box 25486, DFC, Denver, CO 80225 if you are in the western portion of the prairie pothole region. Contact the Service at the Federal Building, Fort Snelling, Twin Cities, MN 55111 if you are in Minnesota or Iowa; at Box 1306, Albuquerque, NM 87103 if you are in Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas; or at Lloyd 500 Building, Suite 1692, 500 NE Multnomah Street, Portland, OR 97232 if you are in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, or Nevada.

State, Province, and Local Permits

In addition to the requirement for Federal Section 404 permits, local, state, or provincial permits may be needed for moat construction. The requirements for such permits vary by locality. To find out what permits may be required in your area, contact the appropriate resource agency (Appendix D). Also, local, state, or provincial permits may be needed for removing predators outside of the regular trapping season.

Previous Section -- Monitoring Peninsulas
Return to Contents
Next Section -- Suggested Reading

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Page Contact Information: Webmaster
Page Last Modified: Friday, 01-Feb-2013 19:43:15 EST
Sioux Falls, SD [sdww54]