USGS - science for a changing world

Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center

  Home About NPWRC Our Science Staff Employment Contacts Common Questions About the Site

Nest Structures for Ducks and Geese

Giant Canada Geese
Constructed Islands

Islands have several advantages over other nest structures: they can be used by several pairs of nesting geese as well as nesting ducks, make good loafing and feeding sites, provide habitat for other wildlife, require little maintenance, and are long-lived if properly constructed. Their main disadvantage is that initial costs can be high.

Islands are most easily built when the pond is being constructed or restored (Figure 1). The above water portion can be any size from .01 acre (20-foot diameter) to 2 acres, but 0.1-acre to 1-acre islands appear best. Larger islands are not recommended because they can harbor nest predators year-round. Islands should be placed at least 50 feet from shore and be surrounded by water that is a minimum of 2 feet deep to make predator access difficult. The top of the island should be 3 feet higher than the anticipated high water level or one to two feet above the emergency spillway level. Side slopes should be no steeper than 5:1 in exposed locations, but could be 3:1 in sheltered spots or small ponds. Riprapping the edge of the island may be necessary in open water to prevent erosion. Islands should initially be seeded with a temporary cover crop of rye or oats until dense permanent vegetation such as canary grass, switchgrass, buck brush, gooseberry, raspberry, dwarf spirea or dwarf willow can be established. Geese and ducks often nest closer together where brush or tall grass creates a visual barrier that reduces territorial fighting.

The number of islands constructed depends upon the size of the pond and the size of the islands. We recommend that the ratio of island acres to surface water acres be about 1:50, with no more than 1 small island per acre of water. Islands should be at least 150 feet apart.

If you intend to build an island in an existing wetland, you may need to obtain a 404 permit from the Army Corps of Engineers. Application forms are available from your local wildlife biologist.

Previous Section -- Giant Canada Geese: Introduction
Return to Contents
Next Section -- Giant Canada Geese: Round Hay Bales

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Page Contact Information: Webmaster
Page Last Modified: Friday, 01-Feb-2013 19:38:34 EST
Sioux Falls, SD [sdww55]