USGS - science for a changing world

Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center

  Home About NPWRC Our Science Staff Employment Contacts Common Questions About the Site

Locating, Constructing, and Managing Islands for Nesting Waterfowl

Required Permits

Federal Permits

A Federal Section 404 permit is required before island construction can be initiated in a wetland in the United States. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers authorizes island construction under the Nationwide General Permit No. 26 or a Regional General Permit for wildlife habitat enhancement. Regional and Nationwide General Permits require minimal processing time (2 to 4 weeks) to comply with Section 404 regulations. No Federal permit is required for island construction in Canada.

The nearest U.S. Army Corps of Engineers field office should be contacted at least 3 months prior to island construction. If a permit is required, a 2-page application form (ENG 4345) will need to be completed. The form must be entirely completed, including a vicinity map, construction plans, and a scale drawing that provides elevation and cross section views of the proposed activity. Once the application is completed and signed, return it to the field office. If the project substantially changes after applying for a permit, the Corps of Engineers office must be revisited and a new application form must be completed.

Location of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers offices in the Missouri River drainage can be obtained at 215 N 17th Street, Omaha, NE 68102-4978 and for the eastern Dakotas, Minnesota, and Iowa at 180 E Kellog Boulevard, St. Paul, MN 55101-1479. Permit information for California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona is acquired at 1325 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814-2922 and information for eastern Washington and Oregon and for Idaho at Building 602, City-County Airport, Walla Walla, WA 99362-9265.

A U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service permit may be needed prior to construction when there is a wildlife easement on the wetland. Contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at P. O. Box 25486, DFC, Denver, CO 80225 if you are in the western portion of the prairie pothole region. Contact the Service at the Federal Building, Fort Snelling, Twin Cities, MN 55111 if you are in Minnesota or Iowa; at Box 1306, Albuquerque, NM 87103 if you are in Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas; or at Lloyd 500 Building, Suite 1692, 500 NE Multnomah Street, Portland, OR 97232 if you are in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, or Nevada.

State, Province, and Local Permits

In addition to the need for federal permits, some states and provinces may require permit applications (Appendix D). Local permits are probably not required but it might be worthwhile to check with local water boards before beginning construction.

Previous Section -- Colonial Birds and Shorebirds
Return to Contents
Next Section -- Suggested Reading

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Page Contact Information: Webmaster
Page Last Modified: Friday, 01-Feb-2013 19:33:54 EST
Menlo Park, CA [caww54]