Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
U.S. Prairie Pothole Joint Venture
PPJV Management Board Piority Actions
This section identifies the priority tasks to be accomplished during the period,
extending from authorization of this update, until a reevaluation determines the
need for another update. The list of actions has been substantially scaled down
from the original Implementation Plan, reflecting both substantial accomplishments
in the PPJV and changes in need. Activities identified here should be recognized
as not all inclusive. The PPJV Board recognizes the need to respond to changing
needs and opportunities.
The Joint Venture will focus on accomplishment of the following actions by
1999. The Board will review and take action on items at each Board meeting and
review progress and accomplishment.
PLANNING AND EVALUATION
LEGISLATION AND REGULATION
- Provide input to the 1995 Farm Bill, especially the CRP, but including Swampbuster,
Sodbuster and other provisions that significantly influence the goals and
objectives of the PPJV.
The Joint Venture will do its utmost to provide information on the waterfowl
and wetland conservation benefits of CRP and other Farm Bill provision,
and on the importance of maintaining or increasing these benefits through
the 1995 Farm Bill. The Joint Venture will ensure that all NAWMP partners
give premiere consideration to duck production in any positions or actions
taken by them.
- Continue efforts to resolve the "in lieu of taxes" issue in the PPJV.
ENHANCE PRIVATE LANDS MANAGEMENT
- Expand private lands programs as determined necessary to meet habitat and
management needs identified for private lands through the PPJV Technical Team
and HAPET efforts. The priority within this task will be for the PPJV partners
to provide the trained needed personnel to expand private lands projects and
- Seek funding alternatives and partnerships to meet funding requirements
for intensive habitat management projects and activities in the PPJV and in
any cooperative projects with the Prairie Habitat Joint Venture.
- Increase PPJV congressional outreach with special emphasis on support for
the NAWCA and NAWMP funding. Work with PPJV partners to focus activities and
align NAWCA expenditures with the priorities of the NAWMP.
- Ensure that at least three major NAWCA projects are submitted from the PPJV
for each selection round.
- Ensure that Action Groups or Steering Committees in each state are active
and actively supporting the priority tasks of the Joint Venture.
- Seek opportunities to cooperate in cross-border projects with the Prairie
Habitat Joint Venture.
- Seek opportunities to join with new partners in support of PPJV objectives.
- Increase awareness in the public and among all PPJV partners that ecosystem
restoration is the preferred response to the loss of wetland/grassland breeding
habitat in the PPR.
- Support research and literature review regarding predator management.
Previous Section -- Appendix A PPJV Organization
Return to Contents
Next Section -- Appendix C PPJV Management Board