USGS - science for a changing world

Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center

  Home About NPWRC Our Science Staff Employment Contacts Common Questions About the Site

How Do I Report an Error on Your Web Site?

Much of the information we present is drawn from authoritative publications. However, since some of these publications do not exist in electronic format, we often have had to create new data sets based on illustrations in the original publications. This is a laborious process that can introduce discrepancies during transcription. In the event of such discrepancies, the original publication should be referenced. If you discover such a discrepancy, please contact us at

Should you find errors in the actual publications themselves, please contact the author of the publication in question. (Note: Please be aware that resources on this Web site are offered as electronic versions of biological reports and scientific papers first published in print by entities who grant this Web site reprint permission. Textual information on this site is presented as it was printed in the original publication.) Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center will make changes or corrections to a resource only with the consent of the author of the publication upon which the resource is based.

Some of our resources such as Bird Checklists of the United States are often updated as we acquire new information from the authors and contributors. Visitors to these resources often want to help by submitting their own observations of birds on a particular refuge in a particular county. Feedback such as this is welcome, but should be directed to the originator of the information. In the case of bird checklists, the originator would be the National Wildlife Refuge in question.

In summary, here is what you should do if you encounter information you believe is incorrect or obsolete, or if you wish to contribute data to a particular resource:

  1. If you believe the error represents a discrepancy between the Web resource and the publication upon which it is based, contact Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center at
  2. To point out an error in the publication upon which a resource is based, contact the author of the publication in question. In most cases, the author's address or phone number can be found on the title page of the resource. If an address or phone number is not given, we may be able to help you find one or the other.
  3. To submit more current or additional data to be used in a resource, first check the main page of the resource for special instructions on submitting data. If none are found, contact the author of the resource, or in the case of a checklist, the refuge or organization that developed the checklist.

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Page Contact Information: Webmaster
Page Last Modified: Friday, 01-Feb-2013 17:56:37 EST
Sioux Falls, SD [sdww54]